- 5 mM HOAc aq.: 1500 mL
- urea: 500 g
- n-hexadecyltrimethylammonium chloride (CTAC): 100 g
- tri-functional alkoxysilane: 2.1 mol
- di-functional alkoxysilane: 1.4 mol
- Mixing alkoxysilanes, urea, and CTAC in a dilute aqueous acetic acid solution in closed container, and stirring for 60 min at RT to promote hydrolysis.
- Transferring the container to an oven for gelation and aging at 80 °C over 6 hours.
- Washing with methanol.
- Evaporative drying under ambient conditions.
- Hayase, G.; Kanamori, K.; Nakanishi, K. New Flexible Aerogels and Xerogels Derived from Methyltrimethoxysilane/dimethyldimethoxysilane Co-Precursors. J. Mater. Chem. 2011, 21, 17077–17079. doi:10.1039/C1JM13664J